Saturday, March 6, 2010

Words Seasoned With Grace

Some think that it doesn’t matter what we say or how we say it. The truth is, words speak volumes about who we are, where we come from, what we believe, and where we are going. Linguists (experts in languages) can accurately identify a person’s origin, sometimes within miles, simply by words and the manner in which they are spoken.

Words are the manner in which we communicate how we feel, what we desire, need, and want…they are the true expression of our humanness. The spoken word has more power than we may realize, for with a word we have the ability to help or hurt. (Proverbs 18:21). Depending on the words we choose to speak, we are either blessed and a blessing, or we are cursed and curse others. (James 3:10).

The syllables that are formed into sentences do not leave the atmosphere once they leave our lips, and often have far-reaching effects. The childrens rhyme is oft repeated, “Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me,” but that is not true…words DO hurt. People will grieve forever because of an off-the-wall remark made thirty years ago by some little freckle-faced kid when they were in the third grade.

I would ask you to think about the small child who constantly hears, "You're nothing! You look just like your bald headed daddy...he never amounted to anything and neither will you!" What about the person who hears, "You can't do this...you're not smart enough or cute enough or talented enough"... or "You're just a woman/Black/Asian/Hispanic/poor..." Words will weigh on the mind and very heart core long after the individual who spoke them is dead and gone.

Some would declare that it is childish and downright silly to get all hung up on what someone has to say about us, but alas, tis easier said than done. What people say conveys the very intent of their inner most beings, and this is scriptural (Matthew 12:34). While they may be appearing to mean one particular thing, their words reveal the truth.

That's why it is incumbent upon each of us to take into account what we say in every arena of life...in the home and on the job...to the Saints in our churches...to the children entrusted into our care...in the marketplace...everywhere we go we should set a watch over our mouths.

Our prayer should be that we speak words seasoned with grace…

** I love you ** You are important to me ** Thank you ** Please ** What can I do for YOU? ** Here, let me help you or do that for you ** It's okay ** We're gonna get through this ** You can depend on me ** That was a good job ** I appreciate you ** I see your point ** Let me tell you what a good husband, wife, child, parent, or friend you are to me ** You look so nice today ** That color is perfect for you ** I am proud of you **I forgive you ** I am sorry ** Please forgive me ** You are right ** I was wrong ** I respect you ** It's okay to try again** I trust you** I believe in you **

Not only will these words bring healing, but try them out on a stranger and see if the word is not manifested, A soft (gentle) answer turns away wrath.

This is a brand new day to bring healing, restoration, and reconciliation. Our words will build a bridge that cannot be destroyed...may they be seasoned with grace!

2 comments:

  1. Enjoyed seeing your blog posts. Your thought are succinct and well-phrased. I believe in filling the internet with the Word of God and with faith filled commentary. Be blessed in your endeavors to lift up the Name of Jesus!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry that I just saw this...thank you SO much for your comment. God bless you!

    ReplyDelete